Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Interview with June Spears….

When did you start writing and what authors do you enjoy reading the most?

I started writing very young. When I was in fifth grade I actually won a poetry contest and it ended up being  our school song.

Wow! That’s fantastic!! Do you have any particular genre you enjoy writing the most?

Fantasy, It takes me far away from the stresses of everyday life.

Where do you find your inspiration for writing?

It is just something that takes me away from the everyday wear and tear of life. I try to get lost in whatever story I am writing. I think my main inspiration to write as an adult is my daughter Isabella.

Are you a by the seat of your pants writer or an outline planned writer?

I never plan anything. My Novelette Series "The Blood Moon Chronicles" was done within a month. There's Five Books altogether. When I have the urge to write I just sit in front of my keyboard and let my fingers guide me through and It usually results to something great.

My Hero is My Monster is your newest writing endeavor – what provoked you to tell your story of abuse? And has it helped you cope with the years of trauma?

I don't think I cope with it, I more less drown it out with my writing. I wrote "My Hero is My Monster" because we see things everyday that we turn a blind eye too. My hopes are with telling my story people won't turn their heads the other way when they see something that screams abuse. I can't tell you how many times I was in public with my parents and wanted so badly for someone to reach out and help.

Do you think society is different than when we were kids? It seems people, now, are more apt to actually speak up and get involved than when we were younger

I surely hope this is the case. I can't imagine another child or adult living in that kind of hurt and fear.

Individuals suffering from sexual abuse – what advise would you give them to stop the abuse and cope with the aftermath?

I would tell them to be strong and get counseling. As much as that sucks (trust me, I refused counseling for months) It does help in the long run. I would tell them not to shy away from the rest of the world, because there really are some decent people out there.

Are you involved in, or do you know of any national groups someone can reach out to to assist them in the path of overcoming the trauma from sexual abuse?

Child Lures Prevention -

5166 Shelburne Road

Shelburne , VT 05482

Phone:

(802) 985-8458

Fax:

(802) 985-8418

info@childluresprevention.com

http://www.childluresprevention.com/

Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute (CMRPI) -

1401 Peachtree Street

Suite 120

Atlanta , GA 30309

Phone:

(404) 872-5152

contact@childmolestationprevention.org

http://www.childmolestationprevention.org

Child Safe -

St. Vincent's Center/Catholic Charities

2600 Pot Spring Road

Timonium , MD 21093

Phone:

(410) 252-4000

childsafe@catholiccharities-md.org

http://www.childsafeeducation.com/

Childhelp® -

15757 North 78th Street

Scottsdale , AZ 85260

Phone:

(480) 922-8212

Fax:

(480) 922-7061

TDD:

(800) 2AC-HILD

Toll-Free:

(800) 4AC-HILD

http://www.childhelp.org/

CornerHouse -

2502 10th Avenue South

Minneapolis , MN 55404

Phone:

(612) 813-8300

Fax:

(612) 813-8330

info@cornerhousemn.org

http://www.cornerhousemn.org/index.html

Is there any advise you can offer teachers or school advisers on noticing the signs of a child being sexually abused?

Just that if you think you see a sign that something is wrong, Nine out of Ten times it probably is. At least ask the child first before going to the parents. You never know what is going on behind closed doors.

Do you think had someone asked you, as a child, you would have spoke up about the long term abuse that had been going on? We hear about children being threatened into silence all the time.... or even being petrified and it’s not until they are adults that they find the courage to speak up/speak out about what they went through as a child.

I don't know if I would have or not. I just think it is a good thing to speak up because you never know.

If you could prepare someone writing a memoir, what would it be?

Be true to yourself, don't write it if it feels wrong. I wrote my memoir from a child's point of view so that the reader could feel what I was feeling at that time in my life.

Excellent piece of advise – I read your short story on your experiences and because of it being from a child’s perspective, it makes it even more powerful and raw. Do you have anything else you are working on scribing right now? Do you want to provide a short excerpt of My hero is My Monster and where it can be purchased from?

I am working on my first full length novel. It will be along the lines of fantasy also.
I have attached a blurb from the book to this email and purchase link.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AFYHHY
Also a few contact places for me are ..
http://kdpfreebielist.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/indieauthorfuneespears?ref=hl
https://twitter.com/JuneESpears
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6152163.June_Spears

Thanks June!

A peak into the My Hero is My Monster short story -

I stood in the tenth story window, my eyes bloodshot and tears flowing. The monster in my bedroom had tormented me day and night for the past ten years. The police placed him in handcuffs while he stared up at me with hatred and sinister grin. I knew him too well. I knew what kind of cruelty he was capable of.

Knowing that his memory would haunt me for the rest of my life, the only way I could get him out of my mind was to end my life right here, right now.

My mother screamed at me from below that she would never forgive me for what I had done. I had broken her delusion of a happy home. Rage and resentment swelled my body and soul. She was my mother. Wasn’t she supposed to love me, protect me, from monsters like him? I could not understand why, why she let him hurt me, why she sat back and did nothing?

I bowed my head in shame as the neighbors stared through their windows and gossiped to themselves. A crowd had formed and people were stopping and pulling over to the side of the road, watching with utter disbelief. I could not face seeing anyone ever again. Not with them knowing the truth. What would they think of me? I will be the talk of this small town forever.

My hands were sweaty and my knees became weak beneath me. My heart raced so face it felt like it would explode inside of me. Before I could convince myself to turn around, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, spreading my arms out wide as if to fly I turned and fell backward off the window sill.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A notification of your post has been sent to our admins. We'll review and approve accordingly. This is to avoid spam on our blog.

Thanks