Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Word of the day - inflorescence

I thought it would be a novel idea to break out my old trusty dictionary and provide a random word of the day. My dictionary is old and should probably be updated with a newer one. It does not have the words recently added over the years - tweet, fist bump, bling, or even bromance - for more odd entries into our dictionaries just do a google search for dictionary additions and pick a year.

My dictionary was given to me by my grandfather when I was rather young. The copyright on it is 1988 and it is a Webster’s II home and office desk edition. I can remember reading and asking my mother what a word meant or how to pronounce it. Her canned response was always “Look it up, your grandfather gave you a dictionary. Use it.”

So hear we are, the dictionary is over 20 years old, and I still “look it up.”

Inflorescence - N. A Characteristic arrangement of flowers on a stalk. inflorescent adj. (Page 217)

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/terminf1.htm

http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkopp/Monarda_fistulosa_page.html


Kortney
www.unforgettablebooksinc.com

BuzzNet Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

A notification of your post has been sent to our admins. We'll review and approve accordingly. This is to avoid spam on our blog.

Thanks